Rhonnie sobbed hysterically, “G-d, why have you done this to me?” after Charles (Joe) Hynes lost the primary election (I kid you not).
Jeez, Rhonnie Jaus, you weren’t crucified. It wasn’t G-d; it was the electorate. Some people voted against Hynes because of Vecchione’s wrongful convictions. Other’s did it because of Joe’s go-easy policies on orthodox-Jewish sex abusers. As head of the Sex Crimes unit, you carried out those policies. You and others in the Office of the Kings County District Attorney (KCDA) turned Joe’s political self-interest into the Church of Joe with its own Ten Commandments:
Joe is thy G-d who took thee out of the ranks to be a boss.
- No other interests shall stand in the way of Joe’s election.
- Joe is a jealous G-d who visits iniquity and indictments down to the third and fourth trial.
- Do not allow others to fault Joe, for he is vain.
- Remember to rest from thy labors when prosecuting Sabbath observers.
- Honor your Father Joe and Mother Mary Hughes that you may prosper in the land of the priveleged.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery (unless it is a sordid political liaison).
- Thou shalt not steal (unless it involves votes or you are taking a case and credit away from a subordinate).
- Thou shalt not leave a murder unprosecuted (even if you have to convict the wrong man).
- Thou shalt not covet thy boss’s job or the salaries of those anointed by him.
Rhonnie, your religion was DOA on election night. The voters shattered your tablets and there aren’t any more coming down the mountain. Hynes cannot even be resurrected on FaceBook.
Rhonnie, if you want to fake a quickie conversion to the Thompson religion, deliver the successful prosecution of Baruch Lebovits (BL) instead of giving him a plea bargain with no more time in jail. But first you have to explain:
- The Rosario violation in the first trial which opened the door to the appeal by Alan Dershowitz that overturned the conviction
- Why the evidence in the first trial did not include a police supervised recording between BL and his victim in which he all but confessed
- Why KCDA has not followed up with other victims of BL
- Why you never pursued prosecution of Zalman and Berrel Ashkenazi for obstructing justice
- Why you acquiesced to a “Chinese Wall” that allowed Vecchione to deny you access to evidence against Lebovits
- Why you didn’t challenge the Vecchione prosecution of Samuel Kellner for bringing a false witness when you were convinced that this witness had been molested, and was now intimidated and bribed by Lebovits and his agents.
- Why you did not object to the Rackets case which assumed the indictment testimony against BL was false when you knew that Lebovits was negotiating a plea bargain with you before the first trial, something which you were only allowed to do if you were convinced of his guilt
- Why ADA Gregory, who testified to the Grand Jury that indicted Samuel Kellner, didn’t challenge the indictment once it became clear that Rackets was ignoring evidence held by your unit pointing to Kellner’s innocence
- Why your unit was caught flat-footed by Alan Dershowitz at the last court appearance when he asked for a tape which you didn’t know about
- Why the word is out that your unit is no longer getting ready for Lebovits’ trial even though Hynes declared his intent to try Lebovits in the fall.
Rhonnie, can you successfully take on Alan Dershowitz, his brother, Nathan Dershowitz (collectively known as the Dersh Bags), and Arthur Aidala to convict Baruch Lebovits? If you can do that you might salvage your reputation for another job. If not, no one will be impressed if you score an easy guilty verdict on a case you stole from the ADA who built it.
If you give Baruch Lebovits a sweetheart deal, his valentine will be your career death knell. Baruch Lebovits has too many anguished victims crying for justice. Some of them have committed suicide. Too many of us have fought too long and hard to let this case slip under the radar. Your office already gave Menachem Deutsch a sweetheart deal. A Lebovits sweetheart deal will produce an extraordinary outpouring of criticism that will eclipse the Weberman trial attendance. Kenneth Thompson will be forced to do a postmortem, the skeletons will come tumbling out, and your fingerprints will be on them.
You may think you will be off the hook because your office makes it its business not to leave written records of improper orders. But the religion of the spoken word is being replaced by a fervor for accountability. In the new order, your inability to explain your many missteps will come back to haunt you.
With apologies to Shakespeare’s Cassisus: The fault, dear Rhonnie, is not in G-d, but in yourself, that you were an underling.