Yesterday I posted my reaction, YU Waits Eight Months to Issue a Report that Says Nothing
Others feel the same way. Rather than summarize the reactions of others, I will pin this post for a while, and try to list articles I found significant. Here are some of my candidates (in the order I encountered them):
- “Report Confirms, Expands Abuse Allegations” by Gavriel Brown in Yeshiva College’s student newspaper, The Commentator, (8/26/13) [to date this is still the best critique]
- “Sorry seems to be the hardest word” by Yoseif Bloch in The Times of Israel (8/27/13) [nicely captures the duplicity of YU’s claim that it feels remorse].
- “Report Faults Yeshiva U. on Sex Abuse Charges” Inside Higher Ed (8/27/13). “Originally, the university said that the entire report would be released, but it provided only a summary, citing issues raised by suits filed against Yeshiva.”
- ‘Zygmunt Wilf, a YU Board Member is a fraudster‘ Margaret Soltan, University Diaries (8/27/13) [If the the rest of the board looks as bad, Madoff may be the least of their problems] [See here for more on Wilf. See list of all YU trustees for those inclined to research them.]
- “Yeshiva University alleged to have kept insurer AIG in the dark about sex abuse claims” Daniel Beekman, New York Daily News (8/25/13)
“Yeshiva University’s Incomplete Report” Rabbi Joshua Strulowitz, West Side Institutional Synagogue (8/27/13). [Best job to date clarifying gap between what should be in the report and what is missing]
- “Y.U. Report’s Three Paragraphs Fails To Do Justice to Abuse — or Jewish Ethics. Hiding Behind ‘Pending Litigation’ Is Tired Excuse” Rabbi Irwin Kula (Director of CLAL: The National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership) The Forward (9/29/13) [Kula identifies himself as another YU HS victim who first disclosed to his brother after the story came out in December 2012 and discovered his brother was another YU HS victim. He writes eloquently about the moral failings of YU’ approach to the unfolding revelations.]
- “Serious Allegations Against Yeshiva University High School” CBS 2’s Tony Aiello [Video footage of plaintiff’s lawyer] Attorney Kevin Mulhearn slammed the report released by Yeshiva University. “I think this is a whitewash. They’re trying to establish with the community the fact they’re being open and candid and this report indicates the opposite,” Mulhearn said. “We’re looking for the information that they promised to provide, but didn’t. We’re looking to get that through litigation,” Mulhearn said.
- “Yeshiva U., release the full report now!” Rabbi Shmuel Herzfeld (of Ohev Sholom–The National Synagogue in Washington DC). Times of Israel (9/1/13) [He compares YU very unfavorably to Penn State, makes it clear they broke their promise to openly report about the abuse at YU, and did this at the behest of a Special Committee of the Board, in defiance of the full board of Trustees].
- “My Empathy Questions for Richard Joel” Yerachmiel Lopin, Frum Follies (9/3/13).
- “Sullivan & Cromwell and Yeshiva University Issue a Disappointing Report on Child Sex Abuse That Is Short on Facts and Long on Public Relations” Justia.com (9/5/13) Professor Marci A. Hamilton (Yeshiva University- Cardoza School of Law).