Moshe Friedman got a sweetheart deal which kept him out of jail and off the sex offender registry when he pled guilty on February 1, 2017 to a misdemeanor charge of “child endangerment” (NY Daily News).
Some of his defenders will say he didn’t really do anything serious. Maybe he just slapped a boy who was misbehaving. But you won’t say that after you read the police report with allegations of a string of sadistic sexual tortures that led to his indictment for multiple felony acts which could have put him in prison for decades.
According to the signed and sworn police report which was the basis of his indictment: The People of the State of New York County of Kings v Moshe Friedman:
…Between September 01, 2013 … and June 06, 2014 … at … [a yeshiva in Boro Park], the defendant … on multiple incidents per month …
- Did strike the informant’s hand with defendant’s hand when informant’s hand was injured and treated with a cast
- Did place defendant’s hand on the informant’s exposed buttocks
- Did grab the informant’s penis,
- Did insert the defendant’s finger into the informant’s anus
- Did insert a banana into the informant’s anus
- Did put the defendant’s mouth on the informant’s buttocks
- Did place the informant’s penis inside the defendant’s mouth
- Did bite the informant’s penis with defendant’s mouth
- Did tie a string around the informant’s penis
- Did shove a rag into the informant’s mouth
- Did tie the informant’s lips shut with string
- Did display a gun to the informant and state to the informant in sum and substance, “you’d better not tell your parents, or I’ll kill you and your family.”
The … [boy was born in] 2007.
Rabbi Shraga Feivel Zimmerman, the Gateshead Rav Hair, recently spoke about “The Halachic Obligation of Reporting Abuse to the Authorities” in a telecast aimed at an Australian rabbinical audience. Continue reading
The New York City Police Department is asking the public’s assistance with identifying and locating an individual depicted in the attached photo wanted for questioning in connection to a forcible touching incident which occurred within the confines of the 66th Precinct. The details are as follows: Continue reading
New York State law does a lousy job of protecting children. NYS’s Statute of Limitations prevents lawsuits or criminal prosecution of child sex abuse if the victim does not file complaints before their 23rd birthday.
The state legislature and governor passed on a chance to fix these laws yet again as they have for almost a decade, all because of an unholy alliance with the Catholic Church and Agudath Israel of America. Governor Cuomo is in on the deal.
The short term solution is replacing obstructionist legislators. Protect New York Kids is an organization focused on this problem. They have identified candidates committed to reforming child sex abuse legislation, donated to their campaigns and organized on their behalf. Check out their recommendations when you go to the polls on Tuesday.
Teshuva, mechila, repentence and forgiveness are things in which Jews believe. But when it comes to sex abuse, their meaning and measure has been mutilated and disfigured into meaningless parodies. A superficial claim of repentance is proferred and the victim is pressured to graciously accept it and go on as if all has been remedied.
I want to thank Dina Friedman for her fine essay chronicling her reactions over the years to the fake apology farce. She recounts her enlightenment with snapshots of her mindset over successive High Holy Days.
Check out her posting: I don’t forgive the man who raped me.